I love Pinboard, in fact I think I may be a little obsessed with this simple bookmarking service, however, I think its design could do with an update. I created a Chrome extension that cleans up the UI, improves the visual hierarchy & generally makes the site a little more pleasant to use than it already was.
- Typography was made more clear and readable by using Open Sans & by increasing the overall size of the type.
- The UI is now fluid and a few responsive touches have been added so that it made better use of the available screen space.
- Tags and bundles are now much more defined
- The colour scheme was muted slightly and the header
- Stars are larger and clearer
Re-styling the site was not without challenges though, the markup hardly has any classes or IDs, this meant that it was quite difficult to target certain elements when I needed to. Pinboard "just works" TM. It is a simple app that does one thing very well & having investigated the code I can see and appreciate the reasons behind the reluctance to update because if it ain't broke...
Try the extension for yourself
Head to the Chrome Web Store to install the extension. I would love some feedback because I know there's a lot that could be improved.
Work has not been completed on the extension, I haven't styled all the pages so some may just look weird, if so, let me know and I will try my best to fix the issue. I will be making my way through the site to tidy up as much as I can.
This marks my first foray into developing Chrome extensions and I hope to make more in the future.